APPLY AS AN INTERN AT WALT DISNEY ANIMATION STUDIOS
Are you a current or recent student studying art, animation, computer graphics, and film?
Walt Disney Animation Studios is looking for interns for their 2020 Summer Internship Program. As a Talent Development intern, you will have the unique opportunity to work directly with a Disney mentor as you explore all aspects of art, storytelling, and filmmaking
Walt Disney Animation Studios Summer Internship Program is a ten week program with seven different categories to apply for.
The internship form Sámi areas can apply for a10.000$ travel grant, funded by The Saami Council and the Sámi parliaments. The applicant must have Sámi background, meets Disney's requirements for internships and have a plan for how to bring the knowledge back to the Sami community, such as through social media, lectures etc. Write an application, max 1 page, explaining your applicant basis and how you would like to bring your knowledge back to the Sami community. Send your application for travel grant marked with "WDAS internship” to: email@example.com.
Deadline for application(s) and travel grant is January 13, 2020 at 09:00 Swedish/Norwegian time and 10:00 Finnish time.
Contact info for travel grant:
Christina Hætta, Sámiráđđi
Meander Drawing Software Intern, Summer 2020
At Walt Disney Animation Studios we have a deep commitment to the philosophy that creativity inspires technology, and technology inspires creativity. Engineers in our Production Technology department are charged with developing and implementing new algorithms to solve unique and challenging problems for all of our movies. We do this working alongside a user base that shares a building with us, and uses the code we develop to make our feature films.
The intern for this project will be working with Meanderkit, an in-house drawing framework for applications used at Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar. At Disney Animation, we are continuing to expand the use of Meanderkit while still heavily relying on it for day-to-day production work.
For a more in-depth look at the Meanderkit Framework and the Academy Award®- winning Meander Application it is based upon, please visit this link:
In this internship, we are looking to explore different optimizations of Meanderkit’s rendering engine. Specifically, we would like to investigate and test implementations of various curve decimation algorithms, and add support for Apple's Metal renderer by:
- Familiarizing yourself with the Meanderkit code base
- Investigating different types of curve decimation algorithms, weighing pros and cons of each
- Collaborating with your mentor and software team daily to help with achieving your goals
- Developing a methodology to determine required accuracy of decimation algorithm
- Implementing and testing different decimation algorithms. Tests should show before and after results with pictures and comparisons across multiple factors.
- Re-implementing a portion of the Meanderkit’s built-in renderer with Apple’s Metal renderer.
- Creating tests showing before and after results of the switch to Apple’s renderer with pictures and timing comparisons
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong C++ programming skills
- Experience with OpenGL
- Familiarity with Linux and/or MacOS based development tools
- Familiarity with mathematics of curve and spline representations
- Experience with Apple’s Metal Renderer
- Experience with Git or another version control software
Junior, Senior, Graduate Level student or recent graduate (within 6 months of graduating) pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Graphics, Applied Mathematics or related field.
How To Apply
- Complete information and application for Travel Grant
- Register to create a profile and apply on the Walt Disney Animation Studios site (see below)
The Walt Disney Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer